CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Zucchini Lasagna Roll-ups
Yields: 5 servings
• 3-4 pounds zucchini (about 3-4 zucchini)
• 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 cup ricotta cheese
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Use a mandolin and slice the zucchini into thick strips, about a 1/8th of an inch thick.
3. Place the zucchini strips on paper towels. Sprinkle
salt throughout. Allow the zucchini to stand for 30 minutes and sweat out excess moisture. After 30 minutes, squeeze the zucchini to remove excess water.
4. Place a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and ground beef to the skillet.
5. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
6. When the ground beef is no longer pink, add the garlic and stir.
7. Remove the skillet from heat and drain any excess fat.
8. Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Spread throughout.
9. Place the beaten egg, ricotta cheese, parmesan, basil, 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the ground beef mixture and stir.
10. Spread the ricotta and ground beef mixture onto each of the zucchini slices. Place the mixture at the bottom of each zucchini strip. Then roll them up and place them in the baking dish.
11. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of marinara over the roll-ups and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
12. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese bubbles. Makes about 30 rolls.