CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Yields: 8 servings
• 1 bell pepper, diced
• 1/2 yellow onion, diced
• 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 16 ounces ground chicken sausage
• 10 eggs, whisked
• 8 whole what tortilla wraps (burrito size)
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• pinch of salt/ground pepper
1. Cook meat & veggies: Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large/deep skillet. When hot, add onion, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add meat and cook thoroughly, until completely cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. At this point, put the meat and veggies in a large bowl, drain any excess liquid and set aside to cool.
2. Cook the eggs: Use a paper towel to wipe out your pan, or use an alternative pan. Reduce heat to low and return the pan to the heat. Add all eggs to the pan and stir continuously until the eggs are just barely cooked through. Do not over cook – eggs will cook a tiny bit more when your burritos are reheated. Remove the eggs from the pan and set aside to cool. Let everything cool completely to reduce moisture in the burritos.
3. Make burritos: Set up your burrito assembly line. Warm up your tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave to make them more foldable and less likely to rip. Make 8 burritos, each with 1 big scoop of mixture and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Wrap your burritos by folding the sides in and wrapping the tortilla to tuck in the sides.
4. Store & Reheat: Wrap each burrito tightly in foil and store in the freezer. Take a burrito out of the freezer the night before you plan to eat it so it can thaw. Best when reheated in a toaster oven for 7-8 minutes. You can also toast for 4-5 minutes to get the outside crispy, then microwave for 30-45 more seconds to ensure it’s heated through. Another reheating method is to an air fryer– this makes them nice and crispy!