A little bit of taste goes a long way with this week's CrossFit Soda City Macro Monday recipe for One Skillet Cajun Jambalaya!
CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
One Skillet Cajun Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup diced red onion
• 1lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
• 8oz smoked turkey sausage, cut into chunks
• 2 cups rice, cooked
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 stalk celery, diced
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in quarters (about 8-10 tomatoes)
• 8oz tomato sauce
• 3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
• Sea salt and black better to taste
1. Set a large nonstick skillet on medium high heat and add olive oil, garlic and red onions. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the onion to brown. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
2. Add the chicken and turkey sausage and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes
3. Add bell pepper, celery and cherry tomatoes. Stir. Then, add tomato sauce and the seasonings. Stir and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Fold in the cooked rice. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken broth, tomato paste and the bay leaves. Add a few pinches of sea salt and pepper, then stir.
6. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Uncover, then remove the skillet from the heat, stir and allow the jambalaya to thicken.
8. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, then garnish with green onions.