Delicious and nutrient dense, this week's CrossFit Soda City Macro Monday Recipe for a Southwest Quinoa Bake will satiate any hunger! Enjoy!
CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Southwest Quinoa Bake
• 1 lb chicken breast, cut into small cubes or 1lb ground chicken
• 2 tsp. coconut oil
• 1 cup tri-color quinoa
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
• ½ cup frozen corn
• 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, lightly drained
• 12 ounces salsa of choice
• 1 packet organic taco seasoning
• 1 pouch red chile enchilada sauce
• ½ cup finely shredded cheese, divided
• Chopped diced avocado for serving (optional) - not counted in macros above
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a small casserole dish or 9×9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
2. Add quinoa to a medium saucepan and add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow quinoa to cook, covered, for 15 minutes or liquid is absorbed. Let stand covered for 5 minutes then fluff with fork.
3. While quinoa is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tsp. coconut oil. When oil starts to shimmer, add chicken and minced garlic. Cook 5-6 minutes then stir with a spatula. Continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
4. In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa and chicken with remaining ingredients, reserving ¼ cup shredded cheese for later use. Stir well to combine.
5. Transfer to baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350℉ for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese over quinoa mixture.
6. Divide into containers and enjoy. Can be served topped with diced avocado.