CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Chicken Fried Rice
Yields: 4 servings
• 3/4 cup rice
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1-1/2 cup water
• 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
• 2 eggs, whisked
• 6 oz mixed frozen veggies
• 16 oz chicken breast chopped into small pieces
• 1/3 cup soy sauce, divided
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp agave, maple syrup or honey (optional)
1. Cook the rice: add the rice, salt and water to a pot. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat all the way down and cover the pot. Let it cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and keep covered for an additional 10 minutes.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the whisked eggs and a pinch of salt. Scramble the eggs over medium heat until they're completely cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a plate when finished.
3. In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and let it heat up for a good 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle salt over the chopped chicken. When the pan is hot, add the chicken. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to do this in 2 batches to avoid overcrowding. Cook on one side for 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Repeat this process until all the chicken is cooked.
4. Add all the chicken to the pan with 1/3 cup of soy sauce over medium heat. If using agave or honey, add it at this point. Toss the chicken and let the sauce thicken up, about 3-4 minutes. Set all the chicken aside.
5. Finally, cook the veggies. Add them all to the pan with a pinch of salt and garlic over medium heat. Cook until they've thawed out and warmed up, about 7-8 minutes. Turn the heat down and add the cooked rice, egg and chicken back to the pan (it's going to be a lot!). Stir until the rice starts to look darker in color. If the pan seems really dry and like there's no sauce for the rice to be coated in, add a splash of soy sauce.
6. Divide the fried rice between three meal prep containers. Let it cool down for 20-30 minutes before storing in the fridge.