Making better food choices should not be a punishment. You should always enjoy your food. This week's CrossFit Soda City Macro Monday Recipe for a Caprese Frittata is an absolute pleasure to make and most importantly to consume! Enjoy!
CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Yields: 6 servings
• 10 large eggs, well beaten
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes - optional
• 3 cloves large garlic minced
• 2 cups arugula or baby spinach
• ½ cup fresh basil leaves
• 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
• 2 ounces mozzarella balls sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds, about 4
• Balsamic reduction for serving
1. Lightly oil a 10-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil
2. Beat the eggs, sea salt, and red pepper flakes together in a mixing bowl until smooth and very well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium. Once hot, add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the arugula/spinach and basil and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 2 minutes.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and gently stir to distribute the greens. Allow this mixture to cook untouched for 3 minutes.
5. Arrange the heirloom tomato and mozzarella slices on the surface of the eggs (Note: it’s fine if the slices sink a bit). 6. Continue cooking until the edges of the frittata have set up, about 12 to 16 minutes.
6. Turn your oven on the high broil setting and move one of the racks to the shelf that’s second closest to the top. Place the frittata under the broil and cook until mozzarella is golden-brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Remove the frittata from the oven and allow it to cool at least 15 minutes before cutting into slices and serving with drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.