As the weather cools down, this Picadillo-Style Chili Macro Monday recipe has all the right ingredients to warm you up, and of course IIFYM!
IIFYM, Macro Monday, 11/13/17 Picadillo-Style Chili
Yields: 6 servings
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 cup chopped garlic (from 12 cloves)
• 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
• 2 poblano chiles, chopped, ribs and seeds removed if less heat is desired (1 1/2 cups)
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 pounds lean ground beef
• Coarse salt
• 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add garlic, onion, and chiles; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cinnamon; cook, stirring constantly, just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add beef and season with salt. Cook, breaking up meat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and tomatoes with their juices; season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice with accompaniments.
3. Serve over rice and add garnishes such as almonds, currants and green olives.