New Years Day, and a new Macro Monday IIFYM recipe for Cajun Black-Eyed Peas and Greens.
IIFYM, Macro Monday, 1/1/2018, Cajun Black-Eyed Peas and Greens
Yields: 7 servings; 1 C
• 8 ounces dried black-eyed peas (1 1/4 cups)
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 2/3 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (1/2 medium)
• 10 garlic cloves, pressed
• 1 (1-pound) package chopped fresh collard greens
• 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (32-ounce) carton fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
• 1 bay leaf
1. Sort and wash peas; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above peas; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain peas. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
3. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
5. Add collard greens, seasoning, and black pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes or until collard greens begin to wilt.
6. Add peas, broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until peas are tender.
7. Discard bay leaf. Serve with a slotted spoon.