Quick, easy and delicious! This Macro Monday recipe for African Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew hits the spot and hits your IIFYM!
IFYM, Macro Monday, 9/25/17, African Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Yields: 8 servings
Serving Size: ⅛ recipe
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 1 can chickpeas (garbanzos), (15–19 oz), drained
• 1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 1 (14.5-oz) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
• 8 oz pre-diced bell pepper mix (1 1/2 cups)
• 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
• 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
• 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Drain chickpeas.
2. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces (wash hands).
3. Place in slow cooker: chicken, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, peppers, seasoning, garlic, and stock; cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2–3 hours (or 4–6 hours on LOW) or until potatoes are tender and chicken is 165°F.
4. Remove 1 cup of liquid from the stew and whisk in the peanut butter until blended; stir mixture into stew. Chop cilantro and peanuts. Serve with stew.
*For less fat, use partial white chicken breast instead of all dark meat.