For all of you IIFYM Athletes out there, this Macro Monday Recipe for Sausage Supreme Pita Pizza is like a free cheat day for your taste buds!
•Serving Size (1 pizza)•Recipe yields 1•Calories 415•Fat 15 g•Carbs 45 g•Protein 31 g
IIFYM, Macro Monday, 6-5-17, Sausage Supreme Pita Pizza
•1 large pita (I used Papa Pita brand)
•1/4 cup "Sarah's pizza sauce" (recipe follows)
•1/4 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
•3 oz. (1 link) sweet Italian chicken sausage (I used Al Fresco brand)
•1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
•1/4 cup sliced bell pepper
•1 tbsp grated Parmesan
•Dash crushed red pepper flakes
Ingredients: Sarah's Pizza Sauce
•1 15-oz. can organic tomato sauce
•1/4 cup diced onion
•2-3 minced garlic cloves
•1/2 tsp sugar
•1/2 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp oregano
•1/2 tsp basil
•1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Bring sauce ingredients to a boil over stovetop, then simmer 30-45 minutes.
3. Remove sausage casing and brown meat in skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a turner or spatula as it cooks.
4. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake pita for 10 minutes or until slightly stiff, but not crispy.
5. Take out pita, and turn oven up to 500 F.
6. Place pita on a cookie sheet and cover with sauce, cheese, sausage, and veggies, in that order.
7. Put back in the oven at 500 F for 5-7 minutes, watching closely. Pizza is done when crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
8. Top with parmesan and red pepper. Devour the entire thing!