Just in time to start 2021 off right, this week's CrossFit Soda City Macro Monday Recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Sausage is perfect for the New Year!
CrossFit Soda City
Macro Monday Recipe
Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Sausage
Yields: 6 servings
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion
• 1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
• 1/2 cup sliced celery
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
• 1 (14 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 6 cups tightly packed chopped collard greens, tough stems removed
• 1 (15.5-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
• 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
1. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage slices, onions, carrots and celery and cook for approximately 7 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and thyme and stir to combine.
2. Add chicken broth and tomatoes with juice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add chopped collards and stir well to combine. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until collard greens are tender.
3. Stir in rinsed black-eyes peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.