CrossFit Soda City's weekly Macro Monday Recipes are a great way to grow your home cook book with tried and tested delights for every palate! Check out this week's Spaghetti Squash Casserole and start your week off right!
CrossFit Soda City Macro Monday Recipes
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
• 1 ~2lb spaghetti squash
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with italian spices, drained
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella or provolone cheese
• chopped parsley/ basil
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place in a shallow baking dish (cut side facing down) then pour 1/2 cup water into the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the flesh of the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
2. Once cooked and cooled down, pull spaghetti squash apart using a fork and transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the turkey, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is browned and vegetables are tender, roughly 8 minutes.
4. Add the drained tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Let cook until the liquid from tomatoes has cooked away then add the squash. Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
5. Lightly coat a deep 8×8 baking dish or a 2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Scoop the squash mixture into the dish trying to leave as much liquid out as possible.
6. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts, roughly 5-10 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with parsley and/or basil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.